The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

The Bad Batch
Devin Nance, Staff Reporter • June 24, 2024
Advice For the Future
Priya Balla, Ava Nyhus, Rekhaa Sivaramakrisnan, and Elliot Jen June 20, 2024
Summer Movie Previews
Devin Nance, Staff Reporter • June 20, 2024
Hosas State Competition
Hosa's State Competition
Estel Soriano Bergua, Staff Editor • April 4, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Staff Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Staff Reporter • March 8, 2024

Brunch Fight!

Five local Bothell brunch establishments battle it out to be deemed “Bothell’s best brunch”.
Brunch+Fight%21
Luka Beadnell

As an experienced brunch-ador myself, I know what to look for in order to achieve the ideal post-breakfast, pre-lunch meal. The food is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the perfect brunch. Other qualities of brunch to be evaluated include restaurant ambiance, menu variety, drink creativity, nostalgia, conversation quality, wait times, and such. This article will jump into the nitty gritty of some of the most popular brunch places near North Creek, and in the general Bothell area. 

Alexa’s Cafe

First up is my personal favorite, Alexa’s Cafe! Alexa’s Cafe is located in the downtown Bothell area, on Main Street, which was ravaged by a fire in 2016. Since then, the whole Main Street area has been blocked off from traffic, resulting in extra space for the local businesses to utilize. Alexa’s Cafe has designed an expanded outdoor seating area, greatly contributing to the atmosphere of the restaurant. As an extremely popular brunch spot, there’s typically around a 20 minute wait for a party larger than three. In my experience, a party of two can typically be seated immediately. The menu at Alexa’s Cafe consists of mainly American style breakfast and lunch dishes, plenty of eggs and breakfast burritos, as well as sandwiches and scrambles. The drink menu is not limited to just coffees and teas! Recently, the beverage menu has expanded to include italian sodas and other speciality drinks. My go-to order at Alexa’s is the BLTA croissant sandwich with a side of french fries and an iced oat milk chai latte to drink. Overall, Alexa’s Cafe is the brunch spot to choose for anyone looking for a small-town feel and Americana style breakfast companions. 

The Cottage

Also located in the downtown Bothell area is The Cottage. The Cottage is definitely home to a more luxury feel, as the menu tends to be a little more pricey than the other restaurants featured in this article. The main highlights of The Cottage include their extensive beverage menu, featuring both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, as well as upscale artisanal food offerings. After 3pm, The Cottage transitions from brunch to their dinner menu. Compared to the other establishments on this list, The Cottage has the best ambiance and atmosphere by far, complete with a cozy, romantic feel with fireplaces adding to the vibe. The Cottage is an excellent selection for an intimate brunch, probably the most luxurious brunch experience available in the Bothell area, if you want to avoid the prices and chaos of Bellevue. 

Patty’s Eggnest

Patty’s Eggnest is a longtime established Seattle breakfast location. There are several locations in the surrounding King County area, including Tukwila, Seattle, Mountlake Terrace, Mukilteo, and the Bothell location. The Bothell location doesn’t particularly have the best atmosphere, it’s a very typical, small town breakfast spot feel. The staff is incredibly friendly and service is always astoundingly quick. Small parties are often seated immediately with out any wait times. Patty’s Eggnest also offers pick up and to-go orders, if you would rather carry out your meal to enjoy at home. The menu is that of a typical breakfast establishment, compete with plenty of egg dishes as well as pancakes and waffles alike. If you are like me and always want a hefty amount of whipped cream to top your waffles, the staff will certainly provide you with all the whipped cream your heart desires! Patty’s Eggnest has earned numerous honorifics for the high quality bruch experience they consistently provide. They have won the Seattle’s Best Breakfast Award as well as the National Golden Egg Award. Clearly, Patty’s Eggnest has earned their reputation in the Bothell area for an excellent brunch. 

The Maltby Cafe

If a delicious, frosted cinnamon roll the size of a human head interests you, the Maltby Cafe is the brunch location of your dreams. Located in an adorable, vintage-vibe building in Snohomish, the Maltby Cafe is the perfect brunch spot to get a sweet and delicious breakfast with an old fashioned feel. The building itself tends to be very crowded, as the Maltby Cafe is incredibly popular on the local scale. The staff has managed to maximize the amount of space in the small building, and there are plenty of tables available to minimize the wait times. 

Bothell is home to many incredible brunch opportunities. As someone who is incredibly passionate about brunch, I can confidently say that all of the locations mentioned on this list are 5/5 stars. It is up to you to try them all, and decide which will win the brunch fight!