The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

The Appeal of Video Essays
The Appeal of Video Essays
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 16, 2024
Building 2 Hallway
Beyond Clean Floors: Lorena's Story
Vee Morello, Staff Editor • April 5, 2024
PSA: PDA
PSA: PDA
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024
Hosas State Competition
Hosa's State Competition
Estel Soriano Bergua, News Editor • April 4, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Reporter • March 8, 2024

Modular Building Delayed Yet Again

With the highly anticipated modular buildings at North Creek yet to open, many students and staff are wonderingwhen will the project finally be completed.

It has been nearly six months since the new modular classrooms at North Creek High School were originally set to open for students and staff to use in the beginnning of the 2023-24 school year, but permitting delays have caused the buildings to remain unoccupied, displacing both teacher and students.

Much to the displeasure of both staff and students, as the calendar turns to March, there still seems to be a ways to go until class can be taught in these classrooms. Seeing as they were brought in to support the largest school in the Northshore School District.

This has a large impact on the teachers, many of whom were hopeful to no longer have to bounce from classroom to classroom at this point in the school year.

“I feel the worst for [the teachers]. I know this has been hard on them,” said Principal Dr. Eric McDowell, reflecting on the state of the project as February came to an end with still no prospect of the actual opening date.

While the classrooms are ready for learning to begin, all of the necessary tables, chairs, and other supplies needed for a classroom to fully function are in the building; the holdup is rooted in the inability to receive approval from the Alderwood Water District, that is needed to connect the building’s sinks and water fountains to a water supply.

“I am currently hoping that we get [the approval process] solved here in March so that we can have the teachers move their classrooms during spring break and right after spring break we would be able to use them,” said Dr. McDowell.

Along with many other administrators, McDowell is working tirelessly to help urge the process forward.

“We even have one teacher who has a friend who works for the water district and we’re working with them to help speed up the process,” said McDowell.

According to McDowell, after the approval from the Alderwood Water District, there will be little work remaining. The water supply portion of the project would most likely only take a few business days to complete. Following that, the installation of concrete sidewalks and ramps to satisfy ADA requirements would complete the project and is estimated to be completed in a matter of days.           

After the multitude of delays and setbacks surrounding the project, North Creek will soon be able to access the relief it needs to support such a large student population that will only continue to grow in the following years.