The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

The Appeal of Video Essays
The Appeal of Video Essays
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 16, 2024
Building 2 Hallway
Beyond Clean Floors: Lorena's Story
Vee Morello, Staff Editor • April 5, 2024
PSA: PDA
PSA: PDA
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024
Hosas State Competition
Hosa's State Competition
Estel Soriano Bergua, News Editor • April 4, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Reporter • March 8, 2024

Nutrition Break: Do We Need It?

North Creek High School, a bustling hive of adolescent activity, is rife with debates about its daily schedule. The spotlight today? The revered nutrition break, a mere 15-minute respite nestled between 2nd and 3rd period. The question echoing through the hallways: Is it worth it?

On one hand, this mid-morning hiatus is a sanctuary for students, providing not only sustenance but also a chance to connect with peers. Picture it: laughter, snacks, and a brief escape from the rigors of academia. However, the allure of the nutrition break is counterbalanced by the grumble of discontent over the extra 15 minutes tacked onto the school day. The dream of an earlier dismissal dances in the minds of many, promising extended moments for relaxation, homework, socializing, or perhaps indulging in the digital realms of video games.

Bryan McNiel, a figure of authority at North Creek High School, dismisses any murmurs of eliminating the nutrition break. His rationale? Not everyone arrives early enough for breakfast, and hungry students aren’t exactly paragons of focus in the classroom. It’s a practical perspective that elevates the nutritional well-being of students above the desire for a swifter exit from the school day.

But the scheduling saga doesn’t end with the nutrition break. Some students harbor a wistful yearning for the pre-COVID-19 schedule, where the day kicked off and concluded earlier. This hypothetical shift could potentially grant students more time for extracurricular pursuits, part-time jobs, familial bonding, and the infamous beast known as homework. However, McNiel quashes any hopes of a return to the old schedule, leaving students to wrestle with the status quo.

Amidst these scheduling debates, a critical consideration emerges — the total instructional time students must accrue. The educational mandate stipulates a minimum of 1,080 hours of instructional time over the academic year, excluding breaks for lunch and nutrition. Yet, the inclusion of Advisory in this count emphasizes the broader goal of holistic development, recognizing that education transcends the confines of traditional classroom learning.

The fixed requirement of 180 school days further underscores the delicate balance schools must strike between academic rigor and the overall well-being of their student body. Juggling these elements requires a nuanced examination of the scheduling tapestry, acknowledging the importance of physical and mental health alongside academic pursuits.

In conclusion, the ongoing discourse regarding the North Creek High School schedule encapsulates the perpetual balancing act educational institutions face. While the desire for an earlier release from the school day is palpable, the indispensable role of the nutrition break in fostering student health cannot be understated. As the conversation unfolds, the challenge lies in navigating the intricate terrain of student needs, striving for a compromise that nurtures both academic development and the overall well-being of the student populace. After all, a harmonious schedule contributes to the cultivation of happy and thriving students.