The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

The Bad Batch
Devin Nance, Staff Reporter • June 24, 2024
Advice For the Future
Priya Balla, Ava Nyhus, Rekhaa Sivaramakrisnan, and Elliot Jen June 20, 2024
Summer Movie Previews
Devin Nance, Staff Reporter • June 20, 2024
Hosas State Competition
Hosa's State Competition
Estel Soriano Bergua, Staff Editor • April 4, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Staff Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Staff Reporter • March 8, 2024

The Cancellation of the DUI Assembly

Should these cautionary assemblies be held?

In an effort to combat the ongoing issue of underage drinking and driving, high schools across the nation host DUI (Driving Under the Influence) assemblies, which are designed to prevent tragedies on the road by educating students about the dangerous consequences of DUI alcohol and drugs. 

In previous years, North Creek High School has hosted these assemblies for seniors as prom and graduation season approaches. Schools intentionally reinforce this message during this time, as these celebrations coincide with increased underage drinking. The goal is not to scare students, but to provide knowledge and tools to keep them safe. However, NCHS did not host the annual DUI assembly this year.

According to an article by Pubmed Central, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for teenagers in the United States. In light of this, improving knowledge about rules of the road and safer practices, as well as changing social norms can lead to generally effective interventions. However, according to research by the Washington Traffic Safety Commision in May of 2014,  prevention through education as a stand-alone strategy has not been shown to be effective in reducing traffic crashes, and has little effect on specific deterrence. 

The article goes on to say that school-based alcohol prevention programs that have actually produced effective outcomes (both short and long term), share similar essential components. These programs attempt to be culturally relevant, and contain more generic life-skills training that address the full spectrum of problems, instead of just alcohol. Effective prevention programs not only aim to educate students, but also parents. They provide skills for addressing and discussing alcohol-related problems at home. Finally, sufficient planning and efficient implementation is essential to its success.

The concept of DUI assemblies are important for high school students, especially considering the fatality of teenage car accidents. Although DUI assemblies may not be efficient as they currently stand, improvements can be made through extensive research. However, North Creek High school may not be prioritizing these assemblies in terms of funding, due to recent district-wide budget cuts and deficit. If we can find proof that these assemblies actually do make a difference in saving student lives, then these assemblies would be worth funding.