The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

The Appeal of Video Essays
The Appeal of Video Essays
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 16, 2024
Building 2 Hallway
Beyond Clean Floors: Lorena's Story
Vee Morello, Staff Editor • April 5, 2024
PSA: PDA
PSA: PDA
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024
Hosas State Competition
Hosa's State Competition
Estel Soriano Bergua, News Editor • April 4, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Reporter • March 8, 2024

Bothell’s Hidden Gem: Ta Joia

Originally Printed in the November 2023 Issue of The Jaguar Journal
Cuauhtemoc Yanez
Ta Joia provides spicy chicken deliciousness, dine-in or to go!

I don’t think my parents even realized how much they meant to Bothell.

— Vivian Lee

The Lee’s have been in Bothell for 20+ years, starting off as a small Mom and Pop Teriyaki spot, eventually starting up a new Latin-Asian restaurant called Ta Joia. Their menu offers a intriguing mix of asian cuisine with a latin twist that has earned Ta Joia 4.8 stars (Yelp). Vivian Lee and her family have worked hard and powered through countless setbacks for their homely restaurant. “We definitely considered going somewhere else. Then when we saw, I don’t think my parents even realized how much they meant to Bothell, you know?” said Vivian.

With beef bulgogi like they have, it’s not hard to see why they matter so much. Their delicious spices added to juicy beef cooked over white rice will get you hooked instantly. Other menu items include their most popular, spicy chicken bowl served with pico de gallo, grilled shrimp, poke bowls, and the newest item, the feijoada bowl. When asked what dish they would recommend for first-timers, Vivian promoted the feijoada. The bowl is a Brazilian bean stew served over rice, with your choice of a protein.

As appetizing as their food is, the staff working are equally as amazing. The employees are nice, diligent, and create a comfortable environment. Not to forget the Lee’s, so incredibly humble with what they have, and what they’ve gone through. When sitting down to interview Vivian, she gave a welcoming reception.

When they were told that their restaurant was going to shut down, Vivan set out a notebook asking old customers to write their contact information down, in order to send them emails for the owners new projects, “We had 800 emails there, you know, and so all I did was just blast that off,” said Vivian. The energy inside of Ta Joia has been completely transformed from the old restaurant, Teriyaki Plus. The Lee family wanted to create more of a dining experience, getting inspiration from Rachel’s Ginger Beer, a cafe/restaurant.

While decorating the interior, Vivian and her sisters knew they wanted to keep the inside feeling homely and calm. They also wanted to include Bali-inspired decor. “Bali was always a really healing place for me and my family” said Vivian. When you walk inside, you are instantly greeted by the aroma of delicious food and as you take in the restaurant, the more you will come to like it. The cozy atmosphere is littered with plants and bright lighting, the main focal point being the painted mural reading: ‘Good Things are Coming’.

The people working at Ta Joia are, in simple words, very humble. Vivan says that she and her family watched the people of Bothell grow up and they are grateful for the customers who have stayed with them through the ups and downs of business. “We were feeding the people of Bothell, but the community is who kept our family alive” said Vivian.

Everyone should support their restaurant, and try their newest menu items. They have worked so hard to get their business going and it has definitely paid off. Until the first of December they are offering a 500 dollar raffle, which you can enter if you just leave a review on their website!