The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

The Appeal of Video Essays
The Appeal of Video Essays
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 16, 2024
Building 2 Hallway
Beyond Clean Floors: Lorena's Story
Vee Morello, Staff Editor • April 5, 2024
PSA: PDA
PSA: PDA
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024
Hosas State Competition
Hosa's State Competition
Estel Soriano Bergua, News Editor • April 4, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Reporter • March 8, 2024

Get Spooky!

A quick list of classic binge-worthy horror films for Halloween

Scream

Temo Yanez

It’s no secret that Scream, originally released in 1996, is a campy and fun horror classic. The satirical nature of the movie makes it ideal for a Halloween watch party. Scream is easily accessible and entertaining for everyone from horror enthusiasts to the most casual fans. Calling Scream scary wouldn’t be accurate, but its unique ability to thrill and laugh with the viewer is unrivaled.

Hellraiser

By Temo Yanez

The 1987 horror classic Hellraiser is a viscerally beautiful film. A shining and golden example of practical effects in horror films, Hellraiser terrorized audiences with a harrowing tale of survival. The plot is forgettable but the concepts and the visuals will keep you on the edge of your seat. This movie is not for the faint of heart or the squeamish so keep that in mind if you decide to watch it at a party.

The Black Phone

Devin Nance

One of the best horror/Drama movies of 2021 that went under the radar was The Black Phone.

The Black Phone, starring Ethan Hawke as the Grabber, Mason Thames as Finney, Miguel Cazarez as Robin, and Madeline McGraw as Gwen. The movie follows a kid, Finney, who is kidnapped and put into a basement, where there is only a used mattress and a black phone. Finney uses the phone throughout the movie to communicate with the other victims of the grabber and uses the information that he gets from the others to escape. The plot is easy to follow, yet incredibly entertaining and engaging to watch, which makes this movie a good watch for any Halloween night.

Hereditary

Nikolay Kulagin 

Hereditary is one of the most unsettling psychological horror movies of all time. It relies on building an interesting and cryptic world, rather than trying to shock the viewer (not that it doesn’t if you know you know). Over the course of the entire movie you slowly start to pick up on small and seemingly insignificant details until you slowly start to piece together what is truly going on behind the curtains of the Graham family. It’s a movie that you need to dedicate your time to, the full story probably won’t be evident on your first viewing unless you look at a guide.

Midsommar

Nikolay Kulagin 

Midsommar is yet another really, and I mean really unsettling and cryptic psychological horror film. The worldbuilding behind the cult seen here and the storytelling behind the failing relationship with the 2 main characters seen here are really interesting and unique. As with Hereditary, there are a ton of little details and symbolism that you will be rewarded with beyond your first rewatch. In my opinion, it’s much more fun to not look at a guide and try to find everything out yourself, but either way, it’s good.

The Shining

Temo Yanez

A timeless horror masterpiece, The Shining, is a renowned classic. Despite this status, many have never watched this film. The visuals are unique and beautiful and define a generation of horror movies. This is a worthwhile viewing experience perfect for any Halloween party or horror movie binge.

Evil Dead Rise

Temo Yanez

The black sheep horror film from a franchise which itself is a black sheep among horror. The Evil Dead Franchise had always been a goofy, camp universe with ridiculous ideas and hilarious execution. Evil Dead Rise rose from the franchise and ascended to a modern horror classic. The stunts and special effects are a golden standard for horror films in our modern era. The movie terrifies the viewers in a variety of ways and is a great horror watch for any Halloween party.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

Temo Yanez

A comedy horror clown craze, Killer Klowns From Outer Space is a hilarious thriller movie. This film is camp in every single sense of the word; it is eccentric, ridiculous, and it knows exactly what it is. The costume design and practical effects fed directly into the campiness of this film, while very few of the ideas present in Killer Klowns are original, its silly approach provides endless entertainment for any audience.

Evil Dead 2

Temo Yanez

In the sequel/remake of Evil Dead 1981, Evil Dead 2 is the successor in every way. Thrills, chills, and kills spearheaded by a star performance by Bruce Campbell as the one and only Ash Williams. The movie finds a perfect balance between humor, horror, and a comprehensive plot for the viewer to enjoy. With so many different ways to approach the film it’s a treat for everyone at a Halloween party. So sit back and enjoy as Ash Williams shotguns and chainsaws his way through legions of the undead.

Skinamarink

Temo Yanez

Skinamarink was the passion project and debut film of Kyle Edward Ball, a master of Analog Horror. While Analog Horror will occasionally experience brief moments of the public spotlight, it is rare and short-lived. Analog Horror preys upon the nostalgia we are constantly immersed in by utilizing old recording formats or analog equipment. It frequently lulls the viewer into a false sense of security in the nostalgic lens of a familiar camera and then destroys the comfort those mediums provide. Skinamarink is a masterpiece in this way, using inconsistent and unfocused shots that would quickly find a place in any home video. The film’s greatest strength is the use of the child protagonist Kevin, our protagonist is no hero and spends most of the film reacting exactly how any child would react to the situations he’s put in. Most viewers will resonate with the actions of Kevin because we were all Kevin’s age and many of them would react similarly.