The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

Oneohtrix Point Never
Oneohtrix Point Never
Nikolay Kulagin, Staff Reporter • March 21, 2024
Article Correction
Editorial Board March 8, 2024
Helldivers doing libertys good work
HELLDIVERS 2
Cuauhtemoc Yanez, Staff Editor • March 8, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Reporter • March 8, 2024
Six Periods in the Future?
Shaun Waddington, Reporter • January 26, 2024

Effects of Negativity

Originally Printed in the November 2023 Issue of The Jaguar Journal

Negativity is a pervasive force that can impact anyone, but it can have particularly severe consequences for teenagers. The teenage years are a time of immense growth, both emotionally and physically, and negativity can affect this process in numerous ways. From damaging their self-esteem to causing mental health issues, negativity can have a weighty impact on teenagers. As such, it’s major to comprehend the effects of negativity here in this community.

One of the more known ways in which a negative mindset effects teenagers is through the impact on their self esteem. Teenagers are at a very vulnerable stage of not being a child yet also not an adult, and negative comments or experiences can easily pick away at their sense of self worth. This leads to issues with confidence and self esteem, this will change the ability of theirs to achieve success in school, and it will affect the way they connect with others.

Adding on, negativity can and will also put a dent in the mental health of teenagers. Its normalized to have ups and downs, but a continuing sense of negativity will lead to serious issues like anxiety and depression. Negative experiences can start a mindset that can be difficult to break, leading to a spiral of emotions that can be difficult to manage. This can lead to a ton of mental health issues, including but not limiting to self-harm and suicidal thoughts.

Another way in which negativity can impact teenagers is through its effect on their relationships. Teenagers are still learning how to navigate social situations, and this negativity mentality can make this even more challenging. Negative experiences can make teenagers feel isolated and alone, leading to a lot of social issues like bullying and exclusion. Additionally, negativity can make it hard for teenagers to form healthy relationships with fellow students and adults, which can impact their ability to communicate effectively and make meaningful connections.

Teenagers can and will struggle with negative mindsets, but there are multiple ways they can take to move towards a more positive outlook. It can be helpful to identify negative thought patterns and mitigate them by looking for evidence that refutes them. Practicing mindfulness or meditation can help train the mind to focus on the present moment rather than dwelling on negative thoughts. Additionally, participating in activities that bring happiness , such as hobbies or volunteering, can boost mood and self-esteem. With these tools, teenagers can begin to cultivate a more positive mindset and improve their overall well-being.

In conclusion, negativity can have a sincere impact on teenagers, from damaging their self-esteem to causing mental health issues and impacting their relationships. However, it’s possible to mitigate the effects of negativity and help teenagers navigate the challenges of adolescence. Yet there are ways for the large young adult population to drive away from the negative mindset that will slowly eat away at their brains.