The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

The Appeal of Video Essays
The Appeal of Video Essays
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 16, 2024
Building 2 Hallway
Beyond Clean Floors: Lorena's Story
Vee Morello, Staff Editor • April 5, 2024
PSA: PDA
PSA: PDA
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024
Hosas State Competition
Hosa's State Competition
Estel Soriano Bergua, News Editor • April 4, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Reporter • March 8, 2024

North Creek’s Furry Friend

Yes, we know you want him to lick your face, no, this is not about Ryan Renolds. 

Verdot, the beloved North Creek school dog has truly impacted many attending students in extremely positive ways. Verdot is coming up on his sixth birthday in March, being at North Creek for soon to be four years, he never fails to add a little bit of sparkle to students’ days. Initially enrolled in guide dog training, he was unable to complete the certification process. Due to this, he became a therapy dog. It was only then that North Creek was privileged enough to meet and work alongside him. 

“He comes into buildings and he just brings a good presence, a nice, happy, good luck presence,” explains NCHS Teacher Chris Harrison, who’s worked closely with Verdot over the years. 

Not only has Verdot influenced Harrison’s students, but also those in need of comfort in the counseling center. As a therapy dog, he provides attention and compassion to many students at North Creek. Whether they’re having a bad day or they just want to drop by and see him, Verdot truly has made his mark in the North Creek community. 

Verdot has spent his entire life interacting with people, so whether it’s students, staff, or both, he always lends a helping hand to those in need. The school counselors, according to Harrison, also rely on Verdot. “They will come down to my room and say, ‘Can we borrow Verdot?’ and they take him in,”.

According to the World Health Organization, teenagers frequently struggle with anxiety, stress, and perhaps even depression. Therapy dogs at schools, like Verdot, can help with mental health problems for all students. Not to mention the fact that several studies demonstrate how therapy dogs can benefit students not only mentally but also physically. Verdot’s calming presence could improve anyone’s day for the better, even if they aren’t currently experiencing any worries at all.

In addition to helping students in the counseling center, he has also assisted students who are afraid or more wary of dogs. Verdot has had a great deal of influence, according to Harrison, who has witnessed the dog’s positive effects on students numerous times.

“The students that are a little bit more apprehensive about the dog, we try to figure out why they’re originally scared and try to get over that, so he’s had a lot of positive impact,” states Harrison. 

Despite his brief time at our school and the pandemic that occurred in the meantime, he has contributed significantly to the school, and if you haven’t already fallen victim to his unfathomable alluring puppy dog eyes, you probably soon will.