The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

The Appeal of Video Essays
The Appeal of Video Essays
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 16, 2024
Building 2 Hallway
Beyond Clean Floors: Lorena's Story
Vee Morello, Staff Editor • April 5, 2024
PSA: PDA
PSA: PDA
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024
Hosas State Competition
Hosa's State Competition
Estel Soriano Bergua, News Editor • April 4, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Reporter • March 8, 2024

Beyond Clean Floors: Lorena’s Story

Vee Morello
Building 2 Hallway

Every day, once the not-bell rings at 3:15, North Creek goes quiet for a while. Students rush out of the doors and onto the next part of their day, while the campus awaits its daily makeover. The custodial staff often works unrecognized, however their work towards a clean environment for every individual on campus is too significant to overlook.

Lorena Espinoza Vargas is a radiant member of the custodial team, and she shares the responsibility of cleaning the campus with several other faculty members. She spoke to the Journal to share about her experience with the position. 

“I love what I do. I love to come and make sure that the building is cleaned for everyone that comes in, to make sure that it’s a healthy environment for everyone, and I just love that part,” she said.

Vargas is generally in charge of cleaning the entire Building 2 by herself, yet the school’s frequent festivals and events can expand her responsibilities even further.

“…when we do have events that requires us to help in Building 3, we do go over there and help with whatever it needs and then get back to our building and finish our daily routine,” she said.

Each day is different, yet there’s still a routine she follows in order to stay on track.

“I get here at 4:00 PM, and then I just start from arranging my furniture because, I don’t know if it’s my OCD, but everything has to look and be perfect and presentable…and then start my daily routine by checking the bathrooms and stocking all of the paper towels and toilet papers, and start doing my garbage, and after that I do my vacuuming at the end,” she explained.

Cleaning the entire building is no small feat. Outside of work, Vargas does anything she can to spend time with her kids.

“When I’m not here, I’m usually at my kids’ school…I changed careers because I wanted to spend time with my kids at school and be able to support them while they’re in school.”

Vargas participates actively in both of her children’s schools. She is currently the Vice President of the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) at her son’s elementary school, and the Natural Leader working hard to organize Multicultural Night at her daughter’s middle school. She is passionate about participation in her children’s school community, and she remains proud of the work she does on this campus.

“My favorite part about working here is everyone. From students, to teachers, the environment, I love it,” she said.