The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

The Appeal of Video Essays
The Appeal of Video Essays
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 16, 2024
Building 2 Hallway
Beyond Clean Floors: Lorena's Story
Vee Morello, Staff Editor • April 5, 2024
PSA: PDA
PSA: PDA
Sadie Berry, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024
Hosas State Competition
Hosa's State Competition
Estel Soriano Bergua, News Editor • April 4, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Reporter • March 8, 2024

Modular Building Update

A progress report on the construction of the modular building, and the addition of four classrooms to the North Creek campus.

On Tuesday, January 30th, North Creek students can expect the debut of the newly constructed modular building. The modular building, located between the first and second buildings, is intended to support the growing student population at North Creek High School. As of January 9th, barriers holding back the opening of the new building include awaiting the Alderwood District’s inspection of the building, as well as the shipment and placement of the window blinds for the classrooms. 

Currently, displaced staff members utilize push carts to carry their supplies around campus as they travel from classroom to classroom, often teaching in a different room every class period. Staff members are beyond ready to transition to teaching in the modular buildings, especially Mr. Edgar who will be permanently placed in a modular classroom.  

The modular building will include 4 classrooms, 3 traditional and 1 science room. All of the rooms are equipped with a sink and faucet, optimal for hand washing and drinking water. The possibility of building bathrooms inside of the modular building was explored, but it was decided that it would be too costly. Students and staff will walk to the closest building to use the restroom. The modular buildings have some key differences from the traditional portables of the past, “This is the way of the future, I think, that we start replacing portables in all our campuses with modular buildings, which are by far nicer.” Principal Dr. McDowell explains. “The whole district wanted to go this route because the buildings are far more green than portables”, concludes McDowell, along with highlighting the amount of windows built into the modules, which will draw in natural lighting and clean, fresh air. 

These modules are built to last, with an estimated lifespan of 50-60 years, whereas traditional portables typically last only 25. Perhaps the addition of the new modular building is only the beginning of expansions at North Creek. “This is honestly probably stage one of additional space being added to the school. As people move north of the Puget Sound, we anticipate continued growth. It is possible that at some point in the future, we could need another entire building the size of buildings 1 and 2 to support the growing school size.” adds Dr. McDowell. The modular buildings are clearly a necessary addition to the school, with the current freshman class being the largest class in the school, and as more and more students come to Northshore School District. The added space will relieve the overcrowding issues currently being faced in all the current buildings at North Creek, with some academic classes even being held in the Theater or Commons. 

As the North Creek community awaits the opening of the new modular building, students and staff alike are relieved by the increase in space, allowing for a slight decrease in overcrowding issues, as well as an eco-friendly addition to the campus.