Athletes Keeping in Shape During a Pandemic

Stephen Woodward

For student athletes across the country, staying in the best physical shape possible is very important. Yet with the pandemic holding them inside and with school work taking up time, how have they done it? 

Athletes have been faced with challenges since day one of choosing sports. Staying in shape and operating school is not always easy. Yet now with the worldwide pandemic, it has gotten a lot harder. 

“Before the pandemic, I was able to work out at almost any time of the day, there was no rushing to schedule an appointment time, or forgetting a mask and not being able to go in,” said junior football player Jamal Omar. 

The pandemic has created these challenges that no other generation in a hundred years has faced. “Online school also doesn’t really help much either. It feels like we just keep getting more and more work, and so then things get even harder. Because I can only workout so often and then so many times I need that time for homework,”  said Omar. 

School is just one of the challenges being faced. These student-athletes are also having to put together their own schedules now, for weight lifting and for other forms of training. “It has definitely grown my knowledge a bunch, I’ve had to do my own workouts, and my own basketball training, so I have learned a lot about my body. Yet it definitely wasn’t easy at the start, there was a lot of time put into it,” said sophomore basketball player Grant Kepley.

Yet the motivation and desire to stick with training throughout quarantine hasn’t always been easy for everybody. “It’s hard to train sometimes because even though we may have a start date or a schedule to start practicing, it’s just hard to actually picture us having a season,” said Senior football player Abe Woodward. “So sometimes when I train I can lose that hope of feeling like I’m actually training for my last season of high school football, and not for college,” said Woodward.

Yet not all people struggle with the reality of quarantine. “I’m a freshman, and coaches have no idea what I look like or how I play, because they have probably never seen me before. So I have really just been trying to stay in shape as much as possible so that my first impression can be really good,” said freshman basketball player Silas Woodward. 

Yet as a freshman they do face some more unusual challenges. “Yet sometimes it is weird, because it feels like I don’t know how to train or what to train for because I have no idea what the high school sports atmosphere is like, so all my training is just in anticipation that I am good enough,” said Woodward.

Still, many students find themselves trying to stay ready for a season shrouded in uncertainty. “Everybody has got to do something to stay up and ready because in reality none of us knows when or how sports are going to start, which is really pretty terrible for us athletes because it feels like we’re just going to be expected to be in shape and as good as we can be,” said Kepley.