The Change in Students Lives After the Pandemic

Ally Hjort

Since the start of the pandemic, so much has changed within student life, but there are many things that have not. In March of 2020, the whole world went into lockdown, Northshore School District was the first school district in the country to close schools for safety purposes following the virus attacking the globe.

The North Creek community and the rest of the world have adjusted to many changes since lockdown started, changes in mental health, daily routines, socializing, etc.

For many students, they’re waking up just minutes before they have to be in class, as they don’t have to get fully dressed or make a commute to school. “I personally find it more convenient to wake up ten minutes before classes to log on,” says Junior Brenda How, “compared to a normal day where I would have to wake up half an hour early to get ready with my entire morning routine and then commute to school.” Daily after-school practices have also changed, often resulting in dissatisfaction because it’s hard to draw the line between school ending and homelife starting. “I’d go and finish school, and then just do whatever I feel like doing. I’d drum, make TikToks, play games, watch shows or movies,” says Freshman Lito Godolphin, “In the end, because I have all of the options and all this time, I feel kind of empty. Compared to my old life, I always felt satisfied and full with what I did, because I’d always be doing something, whether it’s going to an extracurricular activity, or just doing homework.”

A big change since the pandemic started is how school and learning have changed. Most of the country has gone completely online for the past year and only now in a few weeks will students be able to go back to in-person classes. The school dynamic has changed immensely in a way no one has experienced before and it has been quite the adjustment for students. “I do feel as though I’ve gotten the hang of online school at this point,” says How, “In the beginning of quarantine I felt constantly overwhelmed by the workload I had, and although the amount of work has not changed, I’ve been able to better manage my time for my assignments.” Overall, school has been quite the adjustment but it seems that students have been able to acclimate to the online environment. However, for a lot of students things may soon be returning to normal, and that will be a whole different adjustment.

A huge factor in this quarantine has been the declining mental health for the vast majority of the population. The pandemic has helped everyone get a feel for where their mental health is and how they manage it. “From quarantine I’ve discovered that I do not take great care of my mental health,” says How, “I consistently sacrifice a lot of sleep for school, and I began eating less than I probably should (1 to 2 meals a day) because I had gotten so busy with my workload that oftentimes I neglect my hunger.” Socializing has also been a changing factor since the beginning of the pandemic. Many people are able to stay in contact with their friends as they usually would, “My mental health has decreased, however, the amount of socializing I’ve done has stayed the same,” says How, “I’ve done a decent job with keeping in touch with all of my friends throughout quarantine.” 

All in all, there have been mostly changes to the way students go through their daily lives since the start of the pandemic. However, there may soon be a light at the end of this tunnel that we call COVID-19 with school opening up for a hybrid option.