The Jaguar Journal

The Student News Site of North Creek High School

The Jaguar Journal

The Jaguar Journal

Article Correction
Editorial Board March 8, 2024
Helldivers doing libertys good work
HELLDIVERS 2
Cuauhtemoc Yanez, Staff Editor • March 8, 2024
Movie Poster from Bob Marley: One Love
Bob Marley: One Love
Devin Nance, Staff Reporter • March 8, 2024
Modular Building Delayed Yet Again
Jack Martin, Reporter • March 8, 2024
District Budget Re-Hash
District Budget Re-Hash
Olene Ordonez, Reporter • March 8, 2024
Six Periods in the Future?
Shaun Waddington, Reporter • January 26, 2024

The Game of The Year Awards

Don’t Be Sour Your Favorite Game Lost

It’s official Baldur’s Gate 3 is the Game of The Year, and across the internet countless fans of the Sony hit Spider-Man 2 are taking to the internet to voice their discontent. Out of seven nominations Spider-Man 2 and the team behind it went home with a total of 0 awards. Paling in comparison to the whopping 6 awards Baldur’s Gate and voice actor Neil Newbon took home. 

Sony’s Spider-Man 2 was without a doubt a good game with care and effort put into its creation, however it never stood a chance at obtaining Game of The Year. To start to dissect the reasons for the failures of Spider-Man 2 the first thing to look at is the difference between Sony’s Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It doesn’t take a microscope to realize that Spider-Man 2 is practically identical (gameplay wise) to the previous titles in the franchise. A notable lack of innovation between the two titles tripped Spider-Man 2 the moment it set foot in the race.

What Was Your Game of The Year?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The next major contributor to Spider-Man 2’s loss at the Game Awards was of course the competition. Starting with the wildcard ringer, Alan Wake 2, the cinematic horror masterclass that came flying out of left field over the mechanical marvel of Resident Evil 4 (Remake). Alan Wake 2 brought a breath of fresh air to the awards and industry as a whole. Survival horror with unique mechanics and story, as well as being the only original horror game at the game awards that was not a remake of a previous title. Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was a technological marvel of a game, that despite being twice as big as it’s predecessor game and more intensive on the hardware, was able to run on even the oldest and weakest of Nintendo Switch consoles. Super Mario: Wonder was a saving grace for 2D side scrolling Mario Games, it found the most overdone genre of game for Nintendo’s Developers and found a way to breath new life and new ideas, it was a saving grace for 2D platformers.

Finally the winner of Game of The Year, Baldur’s Gate 3. An RPG using the licensed rules of Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition, that had been in production for nearly 6 years, nearly put its studio Larian into the ground, and has now skyrocketed to the top charts. Baldur’s Gate 3 is a technological marvel in its ability to remake its entire story and experience around your character. Not only around the choices of the player character, but around the class, race, and background the player chooses for their character. The time, love, and creativity put into Baldur’s Gate 3 is unrivaled at current times in the game industry. 

Each game nominated for Game of The Year was incredible in its own way, Spider-Man 2 is a wonderful action/adventure game with an incredible story and fast paced combat, Alan Wake 2 is a terrifying tale that will question your thinking, Resident Evil 4 is a beautiful blend of campy Resident Evil horror and monstrous horror the franchise excels at, Super Mario Bros: Wonder is a new and entirely unique take on the traditional formula of 2D platforming, and Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom is a technological wonder of an adventure with puzzles and action up to your neck. However Baldur’s Gate 3 shone above the rest of them in more ways than I can emphasize in a single article.