Student Gatherings Outside of Schools

Ally Hjort, Staff Writer

Most North Creek students have seen friends in person in the past few months of this virus. Amid a pandemic, some are gathering in large groups, not following social distancing protocols, others, however, have taken a more cautious approach when dealing with a virus such as COVID.

Some students have only been seeing friends in small groups, “I hung out with one friend one time,” said junior Parneet Gill, “and the other time I was with 2 of my friends. So we were a small group but we weren’t wearing masks around each other. We were wearing masks if other people were near us though.” Another student has been following a similar pattern, “I only see one friend at a time,” said junior Nitya Kulkarni, “Because I am [a] safe human.”

Other students have been attending extracurricular activities and practices while abiding by their facility’s social distancing regulations. “I go to dance,” said junior Maddy Daniel, “we have boxes on the dance floor 6 feet away [from each other,] and always wear masks.” 

It has now become extremely important to continue to follow COVID protocols and precautions now that there has been a second wave of COVID has struck. The surges of the virus depend entirely on human behavior and if people aren’t wearing masks and staying 6 feet apart, or traveling for non-essential purposes, the number of cases will increase and nobody wants that. 

Some reasons why students are being safe when hanging out with friends in person include keeping their groups small, quarantining, and taking COVID precautions seriously. “We are always with each other for practice and everyone is staying safe, wearing masks, and being distanced,” said Daniel. Whether it’s dance practice or just hanging out with a friend, one-on-one students are being safe in that, Both sides are taking the quarantine seriously and are taking the steps to be safe,” said Kulkarni. The general norm for those in small groups is not to wear masks and that’s a risk some are willing to take as long as you’re aware of yourself and other people, “I took the risk of not wearing masks around my 2 friends, but once I got home I changed my clothes and washed my hands just in case,” said Gill.

Many North Creek students are tired of sitting at home doing homework or watching TV or playing video games. They want to go out with their friends and have fun, act like things are normal again… but things aren’t normal. So, if you’re going to hang out with friends in person, just make sure to be safe and follow the advice of Maddy Daniel: “wear a mask and just be conscious about the amount of space between everyone. Just remember that you aren’t just putting them at risk but also their family and vice versa.”

Questions:

1. Have you seen friends in person in the past few months? If so, how many at once?
  2. How were you taking social distancing into account? (wearing masks, staying 6 feet apart, small groups)
  3. Do you think you were safe from COVID? How?
  4. How would you advise other students to stay safe when they’re hanging out in person?

Answers:

PARNEET:

1. yes, I think twice
  2. I hung out with one friend one time and the other time I was with 2 of my friends. so we were a small group but we weren’t wearing masks around each other. we were wearing masks if other people were near us though. 
  3. I’m not sure, I mean I took the risk of not wearing masks around my 2 friends, but once I got home I changed my clothes and washed my hands just in case. I think I was somewhat safe…
  4. wear masks and stay 6 ft apart from other people.

NITYA:

1. only one friend at a time because I am safe human
  2. We had our masks on the whole time
  3. Yes because both sides are taking the quarantine seriously and are taking the steps to be safe
  4. Don’t. Just don’t go out. Suffer

MADDY:

1. Yes I have since I go to dance, but the most is 7.
  2. We have boxes on the dance floor 6 feet away and always wear masks.
  3. I think so, because we are always with each other for practice and everyone is staying safe, wearing masks, and being distanced.
  4. I would advise them to wear a mask and just be conscious about the amount of space between everyone. Just remember that you aren’t just putting them at risk but also their family and vice versa.