Special Education Adapts to Remote Learning

Stephen Woodward, Staff Writer

Special Education teachers have had to face numerous challenges due to the  Covid- 19 pandemic. During this online learning period, Special Education teachers have been adapting and working hard to make things as easy as possible for their students.

Online learning makes things more difficult than before for Special Education. Many teachers, like ASPIRE teacher Haley Heck, have been trying to come up with new ways to make online learning feel more at home.  “During in-person learning, students had more time to see peers, more access to clubs, sports, and other interests, more ways to express themselves, and more chances to get encouragement and meaningful support from adults,” said Heck.

The online learning environment has also affected how teachers are forced to teach kids. Rachel Knox, a learning center teacher at North Creek said, “During in-person learning, students also had teachers who spent years learning how to teach the way they were teaching,” said Knox. Now, these teachers have to redo much of their curriculum because of the vast differences between online and in-person learning. 

Due to online learning, parents have also had to play an even bigger role now, as they are now having to help their kids with online learning at home. “It’s overwhelming! One role I’ve noticed parents taking on, that has seemed especially important, has been when parents notice their own stress and the stress their teens are going through, and start conversations with their teens about that,” said Heck. Parents have also been helping with homework or online components like getting into zoom or accessing assignments.

Yet, there’s always something positive. One of Heck’s favorite parts about online learning is sleeping in. Not gonna lie, I’m going to be sad when school doesn’t start at 8:00 anymore. Getting a whole extra hour of sleep in the mornings has been amazing,” said Heck. 

Heck has also really enjoyed the opportunity to be creative and come up with new ideas. “I also feel really lucky to be able to treat remote learning as an opportunity to think outside the box and to have conversations with other educators about what is really most important about teaching and school,” said Heck. 

Even through remote learning and a global pandemic Heck and Knox have found a way to get through this, “We are all trying our best, and eventually we’ll all get through it, every single one of us” said Knox.