Gaming on the rise due to COVID-19

Lito Godolphin

“Stay Inside!”

“Quarantine yourself!”

“Remain Isolated!” All commonly said phrases during the COVID-19 pandemic. People have been told to stay indoors since March, but what have most people been doing? Reading? Cooking? Sports? 

No. Video games were already growing in popularity before the pandemic, but now, they’re everywhere. 

“I definitely played a lot less before the pandemic,” said Teenager Nicholas Palmer, who attends online school during the week. “I’d say I play maybe two to three hours more per day than I used to before COVID, cause usually, I have jujutsu in the afternoon. Now it’s just free time” Most of the students said that they played at least two to three hours more, or an even larger portion of the day. 

“I just finish my homework and then play some GTA (Grand Theft Auto) for pretty much the rest of the day,” said online student Matias Warner. “I don’t really have anything else to do, and it’s not like I can get a job in the middle of all this.” So what are students spending their time playing? 

Call Of Duty Modern Warfare: Warzone

The beloved and veteran 1st Person Shooter game franchise “Call Of Duty” has come out with a free battle royale game. As battle royales usually go, players start off alone, in a pair, group of three, or full squad. Then, they strive to be the last one standing by equipping different and unique weapons to kill their enemies. 

“When I heard that they were making a COD battle royale mode, I got so excited,” said Freshman Jaxon Dennis, a student who has played through the Call Of Duty games all of his life. “The only thing that disappoints me is the updates on the game. They take forever. I can’t use my Xbox while it’s doing it, and I have to uninstall other games because of how much space it takes.” Dennis said that his console becomes very slow, and is incapable of playing other games, but all the same, he still plays to his content.

Minecraft

As the game that most kids adored and cherished growing up, with over 90 million regular players, “Minecraft” takes a spot at the top of the list. In this sandbox game players start off with nothing but their fist, and their crafting abilities. Players harvest materials to create tools, weapons and more to help then survive in this block world with dangerous monsters. The main objective of the game is to survive and defeat the Ender Dragon, a dangerous creature that lives in a dimension called The End. Although it’s player count has gone up and down over the years, it has made an impressive comeback that seems to be permanent.

Among Us

A 3rd person game that’s been out for years and has now stepped into the light, “Among Us” is a game with crewmates and imposters. It’s the crewmates job to maintain their surroundings by doing tasks, while imposters in the game, attempt to sabotage and kill the crewmates. It’s also the crewmates job to identify the imposters and dispose of them. 

“I’ve had this game for two years and now it’s gotten popular all of the sudden,” said freshman Riley Bryant, who was already an enthusiast of the game. “Among Us” is an exciting game of lies, thrill, and communication, and what better time to be commutative than in the middle of pandemic quarantine.