Exciting Nintendo Switch Games Releasing in the Near Future

Ryder Yarbrough, Student Writer

After a massively successful year in 2020, Nintendo has set itself up for an even better future. The Nintendo Switch’s lineup of video games coming in the next few years is sure to exceed the expectations of fans, and bring joy to millions of players across the globe.

Already in 2021, Nintendo has released and announced a surprising amount of high-quality games. In February, Nintendo delivered Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, a port of the Wii-U game, with an additional amazing 3D Mario experience. In March, Nintendo released Monster Hunter Rise, the next installment into the Monster Hunter franchise. In April, fans were surprised with New Pokémon Snap, a breathtaking remake of the beloved 1999 original. But these are only the beginning of what Nintendo has in store for its console in the near future. 

Increasing amounts of rumors and leaks surrounding Nintendo’s plans arise every passing day, however, fans are eager for more of the company’s official announcements, which are just around the corner.

In June, Nintendo will make their biggest announcements at this year’s annual Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). Live from June 12 through June 15, E3 2021 will be the principal platform for Nintendo to showcase much of what they have been developing. 

Nintendo has already confirmed release dates for many significant games, such as Miitopia, releasing on May 21; Game Builder Garage, on June 11; Mario Golf: Super Rush, on June 25; The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, on July 16; Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl, set for late 2021; Pokémon Legends: Arceus, for early 2022; and Splatoon 3, for 2022.

As the hype for Nintendo’s colossal future builds, more rumors and theories spread of what will be revealed next. It has already been confirmed that Nintendo will soon provide news on the sequel game to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and its appearance at E3 seems most likely. Also, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4, have been in development for a while, however, no news has been released on either yet.

There are also giant rumors that a new big game starring Donkey Kong will be announced at E3, as well as something involving Mario Kart. Hints to new Mario Party and Kirby games have circulated as well.

2021 also celebrates 4 major anniversaries for Nintendo. This year is Pokémon’s 25th, Mario’s 35th, The Legend of Zelda’s 35th, and Donkey Kong’s 40th anniversary. However, Nintendo has not yet publicly addressed Zelda or Donkey Kong. This gives fans more reason to expect substantial announcements for both franchises before long.

An explosion of Nintendo news is on the horizon, with E3 in a few weeks and a stellar lineup of games dying to be revealed. All fans can do now is brace themselves for an extraordinary future.