Fair Play: A Recap of North Creek’s 2020-2021 Tennis Season

Ryder Yarbrough, Writer

On March 1st, 2021, North Creek tennis players assembled on the campus courts for the first time since November 2019. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all 2020 fall sports had previously been postponed until they could commence safely.

Beginning in early 2021, the school district announced their plan for executing 2020’s fall sports seasons, which included varsity and junior varsity (JV) tennis. Masks would be worn at all times, social distancing would be enforced, temperatures would be taken before activities, and all athletes would participate in weekly COVID testing. These guidelines allowed for the commencement of a 1 month long tennis experience.

Tennis practices began on Monday, March 1st, with Varsity occupying the courts from 2:45 to 4:30 PM, and JV having them from 4:30 – 5:45 PM. Practices were a daily occurrence, except for on game days, Sundays, and occasional breaks on Saturdays.

During practices, the majority of players would partake in challenge matches against each other. Challenge matches were organized tests for the coach to determine which position on the team ladder each player deserved.

Every Tuesday and Thursday was a scheduled game day, though bad weather sometimes forced an adjustment.

On game days, all players arranged their own means of transportation, and games were held at North Creek, as well as other school’s courts.

Upon arriving at the courts, all players had their temperatures checked, and then proceeded with the match exactly as previous seasons had.

Players from both North Creek and the opposing school first warmed-up with their teammates until matches began.

Individual singles and doubles matches followed an 8 game pro set scoring system, where the first team to win 8 games won the match. At the end of the day, the combined wins of each school were compared, determining which school won the game that day.

Both North Creek’s Varsity and JV tennis teams made it to their separate championships; however, both teams narrowly lost in the end.

For many players, North Creek’s tennis season is all about enjoying time with a community. “It was always fun to talk with players and coaches, as well as increase my skills,” said JV tennis player Suraj Vaghela.

Still, these new changes impact many aspects of the 2020-2021 tennis season, and players hope these changes will vanish in future seasons. “Wearing masks wasn’t so bad, and we kind of got used to it. I’ll be glad when we go back to a longer season and hopefully better weather next year,” said Vaghela.