“Drivers License” By Olivia Rodrigo

Kennadi Gerchow, Writer

On January 8th of 2021, Olivia Rodrigo dropped her first single “Driverse License”. It quickly blew up on all platforms but got extremely popular on TikTok, and people from all over now know the seventeen-year-old Olivia Rodrigo.

Olivia Rodrigo is an American singer and actress. She is most known for starring in Disney Channel’s Bizaardvark and in the Disney+ series High School Musical The Musical The Series

On Spotify, “Drivers License” holds the record for the most streams for a song in a single week. It also broke the record for daily streams. In a recent interview with Billboard, Spotify’s head of global hits confirmed that Olivia Rodrigo set the platform’s record for most daily streams for a non-holiday song one the first day at more than 15.17 million, and then broke the record the following day at 17.01 million. Major celebrities have promoted the song including Cardi B, James Charles, Halsey, Niall Horan, Hailey Bieber, Kevin Jonas, and Joe Jonas. 

Rodrigo is also a huge Taylor Swift fan. Swift even commented on Olivia’s Instagram promoting the song. “I say that’s my baby and I’m really proud,” said Swift. Rodrigo was extremely happy to be sitting at number 3 on the iTunes charts under two of Taylor Swift’s songs, only to surpass her and take the number one spot on the second day of being released.

Teens from all over have taken an interest in the drama behind the song. It is allegedly about Joshua Bassett, Rodrigo’s co-star on High School Musical The Musical The Series. The two had major chemistry and were together for a while. The concept of Olivia Rodrigo getting her drivers license comes from Joshua Basset teaching her to drive. However, Basset is now with the disney star Sabrina Carpenter who is rumoured to be the blonde girl in the song. 

The song is extremely relatable. It’s about missing an ex who left for someone else, and then constantly thinking about them and seeing them everywhere. People everywhere go through heartbreak and can easily relate to the song. But the song touches on much more. Teens across the world are dealing with mental illnesses and are even just sad during this time. This song has been an outlet for many to get their emotions out.

There is no doubt that “Drivers License” is a great song. It is beautifully written, sung and produced. The artist has also been compared to Taylor Swift and Lorde, which is a huge compliment. The seventeen-year-old is incredibly talented and this will definitely not be the last time we hear from her.